Community is at the heart of the Vancouver International Marathon Society. As the non-profit organization responsible for the Granville Island Turkey Trot, the Society recognizes the importance of community to the success of the event and to the celebration of sport and healthy living. Each year, the Society reaches into the community to attract nearly 4,000 volunteers and dozens of business, community, and charity groups.
When you run the Granville Island Turkey Trot, please consider making a donation during your online registration and consider bringing a non-perishable food item to the event to help support those less fortunate. Thank you!
Runner’s Green Pledge
The Vancouver International Marathon Society is known in the community for hosting sustainable events with a high waste diversion rate. We look forward to putting on a green event at this year’s race, but we’ll need your support!
Running a 10KM isn’t always a simple task, and sometimes it can be easy to forget the little things – like recycling. That’s why we’ve created a Runner’s Green Pledge with some key points and information to help remind you of how you can assist in keeping our city one of the greenest!
- Dispose of goods such as plastic bags, old clothing garments, gels, etc. in proximity of the station on course so that volunteers can sort and recycle appropriate items
- Throw your used cup as close to station as possible
- Use the clearly marked recycling stations-not City bins-at the Start and Finish Line
- Dispose of all recyclable post-race food in recycling stations and all garbage in the green waste stations. Note: juice boxes can be recycled.
- Travel smart; take advantage of transit, the free bike valet, or carpool with friends and family.